End of Year Fundraising Campaign
Today, we embark on our Year-End Fundraising Campaign. Our goal is to raise $15,000 by December 31st. This will to help us start off 2020 with a portion of the $125,000 we need to repair the facilities and to provide continued community engagement and programs for the year. We can’t do it without your help!
Makapala Retreat Center (MRC), located in North Kohala, is dedicated to the development and service of our community. All of our staff members are volunteers who offer free and/or affordable community projects such as:
- Overnight youth camps, helping with the care and restoration of the lo’i (ancient Native Hawaiian taro patch)
- Mentorship programs
- Free weekly health and wellness classes (exercise, hula, wellness workshops)
- Regular after-school activities (archery, soccer, music, etc.)
- Kupuna Dinner (annual event held for the elders in our community)
- Providing an affordable and safe place for community events (retreats, funerals, birthdays, weddings, family reunions, craft fairs, etc.)
- Community Garden Program (K2K)
This year (2019) more than 200 youth, ages 8-18, came from all over the Hawaiian Islands to participate in Camp Lokahi, a program that brings Hawaii’s youth together. At camp, we strive to create a space where our youth feel loved, accepted, and connected to each other, to our staff, and to our Creator. A long-time camper (who is now 13) came up to tell me, “Makapala (Retreat Center) is my favorite place in the world. It feels like home. I feel safe here”. That is our heart; to provide a space that feels like home for our community.
We’re reaching out to you because we all desire to support healthy communities. Would you be willing to make a special year-end contribution of $25, $50, $100, $1,000 or more to join us in reaching our goal. With your support, we can impact our community in a lasting way. Please join us by making your gift through our online donation form or by sending a check.
If you choose to help, you will contribute more than time and finances. You will join us on a journey to provide a safe place for youth, parents, and grandparents who find a home and community here at the Makapala Retreat Center.
All gifts are tax deductible when sent to :
SPCC, PO Box 1137, Kapa’au HI, 96755
or through the link (CLICK HERE) on our website www.islandbreezemakapala.com.
Mahalo Nui Loa,
Eruera & Elisabeth Kawe, Directors